Another First

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Well, we have another first.

Today we filed our first homeowner’s insurance claim.

I honestly hope that I don’t have to do it again for a LONG time.

Let me backtrack…

We received the quote back from the second plumber who came and looked at the bathroom yesterday.  It was in my opinion significantly less than the first guy (about $1000 less).  So of course this made me uneasy that they were so different.  So I was initially thinking of calling one more plumber to get a last estimate.

Well, as I was contemplating this, one of the plumbers I called on Friday called back.  I talked to him and basically felt him to be NO help at all.  He kept asking me questions that I obviously didn’t answer to his satisfaction (hello, I don’t know much about plumbing…that is why I am calling you!!!).  He basically told me to do two “tests” with the tub (involving running water from the shower for 10 minutes, waiting five hours, then filling the tub full and draining it, and then seeing how the leaking was after each of these tests).   I just got the feeling that he didn’t want to come out and take an actual look…he even said (his words), “I don’t want to have to come out there and charge you $90 to tell you that the leak is from an area that needs to be caulked.”  WHAT???  Two plumbers have already told me that the tub needs to be replaced because it is basically falling down from the wall (there are cracks visible) and you can see mold in one area where water is dripping so no way does it just need to be caulked!  So I thanked him for calling back, hung up and then said, “Won’t be talking to you again!”

Then I called another plumber that was suggested to us by a friend of Kimm’s.  He actually called back within five minutes and when we were discussing the issue.  He said he was available to come out on Friday to take a look.  At that point I was thinking…ugh, since I didn’t want to have to wait until Friday, and so I just asked him if he would be able to prepare a free quote at that time, and he said, “Well probably but if I have to do any work looking for the leak, then I’m going to have to charge you because that is work.”  Well, that didn’t set completely right with me either since two plumbers have come out thus far and not charged us.  So I basically said that I would call him back after talking to my homeowner’s insurance because I was really only calling an additional plumber since I thought I would need another estimate.  He said to call him back if needed.  We hung up and again I was like, “Not calling you back mister!”

At that time I was DONE with calling people.  Seriously.

So I called the homeowner’s insurance and asked all my “worry” questions regarding putting in a claim.  I felt so much better after I talked to the lady who handles our homeowner’s insurance.  She answered all of my questions and I felt so much better at that point.  If we put a claim in she thought the issue was more than likely going to be covered, that it would be highly unlikely for us to be canceled from our insurance and that the rates would increase 10-25% for three years.  That would still be a lot less than paying for all of this work out-of-pocket.

So we decided to put in a claim.

And I’m so glad we didn’t call any more plumbers because our insurance agency has its own claim adjuster that comes out and writes an appraisal.

The claims adjuster called this afternoon and he’s coming out tomorrow.

All I can say is that I hope he is better in person that on the phone.  I found him to be extremely rude.  He basically said that he thought it might be just the valve that needed to be replaced and that it was a “common” household fix.  I said I wasn’t sure but that two plumbers said that the tub needed to be replaced and that the kitchen ceiling also needed to be replaced.

SERIOUSLY.  I hate dealing with this stuff.  I mean the guy does this for a living. I thought he would just say something to the effect of “I’ll be coming out to do an appraisal of the damage.”  That’s really all I needed to hear.

Now of course my worry is that he will really low-ball what needs to be done.

If that is the case I have to find out if we can withdraw the claim.

Again, I’m trying not to make problems that do not exist yet, but it’s so easy to do!

I guess I’ll just have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

For now I’m going to watch Parenthood!

BTW…Kimm is STILL sick but we think on the mend.  If she is still sick on Thursday, she’ll call her doctor to try to get an appointment for Friday.


Published in: on September 27, 2011 at 9:54 pm  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: