California…Last Day

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

It’s a little sad that it has taken me almost three weeks to complete my blogging about my trip to California.  But, that’s what happens when you work 12 hour days.   For the most part, I don’t do anything but sleep, eat, and get ready for work on the days I work.  So, here is the end of my saga, better late than never!

Our final day in California was Thursday.  I still remember feeling a mix of emotions that day.  I couldn’t believe how FAST that week had gone.  It seemed like the plane had just touched down, and I was being surrounded in a big bear hug by Frank.  I don’t think I’ll ever forget that wonderful feeling.  And then all of the beautiful sights, the tasty meals, the blissful relaxation, the interesting conversations…everything was so great.  But yet I missed my babies, my cats…I missed my friends…I missed the comfortableness of my own apartment.  So even though I had a memorable time, I still was looking forward to being home again as well.  I guess I’ve always known this, but I really am a homebody.  I LOVE staying in and just relaxing in my own place, surrounded by the familiarity of my own stuff.  It’s always nice to visit, but it’s just so comforting to be home.

The really bummer of our last day in California was that Frank had to be at the hospital early in the day and our flight was a red-eye.  We had thought (based on information that Frank received from the hospital) that he would be going to the hospital at 10 am.  However, when we awoke, we found out, to our dismay, that he was asked to be there by 9 am.  So we basically got a quick hug before he had to leave.  It was not the goodbye I think either of us wanted.  It turned out to be frustrating as well because later in the day as we heard from Frank, it turns out that he didn’t even get into his room until later in the morning and there were no doctors orders written so he never even started his next round of chemo until late in the afternoon.

So we spent the day packing and enjoying our last afternoon on the front porch, reading and relaxing.  We had dinner and then Frank’s partner drove us to the airport.  Our flight was scheduled to leave at 10:30 pm, but actually took off an hour late.  It was very tiring.  We arrived in Hartford the next morning at 9:45 am.  By the time we got our luggage and the car and drove home it was close to 11 am.  The WORST part was dragging 50 pound suitcases up 4 flights of stairs!  Not fun!  Since I had to work that night, I immediately went to bed for a nap.

After that the vacation seemed like a dream.  I worked the next three days in a row, had one night off, then worked two more.  By then I was EXHAUSTED!  I think finally now, after three weeks, I’m finally not as tired.  I’m back in my old routine.

As of now, Frank has completed his first round of chemo (which was two separate cycles).  He’s had some complications as far as low blood counts and another hospitalization, but has had lots of support in the form of his family and additional friends staying with him.  I’m just incredibly glad that I was able, even with my crazy schedule, to see him after so long.  Now I can’t wait to go back!

Published in: on July 29, 2008 at 12:24 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: